We’ve all heard the horror stories of home builders who provided poor quality work and left homeowners with large bills and financial stress. And while that scenario may seem common, it’s easily avoidable as long as you find a reputable builder. If you’re interested in finding the best home builders in Edmonton, keep reading. This post is filled with valuable information and quick takeaways, so you can feel confident in choosing a home builder for your new home.
Check out this blog post to learn more about purchasing a pre-construction home. We provide all the information you need (along with a few pro tips)!
What are the responsibilities of a home builder?
Before we proceed, it’s important to understand the responsibilities of a home builder, so you have the right expectations entering into a partnership. In short, a home builder is responsible for organizing, overseeing, and managing the entire construction process of your new home.
Your home builder must have the necessary skills, background, and experience in coordination, planning, and communication to effectively build a quality home that meets all codes and standards.
Many different responsibilities encompass their profession, including:
Before any construction can begin, you first have to create a design of your home. Most builders will have model homes that you can either build as is or customize. You can also build a fully custom home, in which case your builder will work with you and an architect to create your rendered design and blueprints.
When you’re choosing a home builder, it’s important to study their past work and portfolio. This will give you an idea of what style they excel in and will also help you visualize which design you want.
Each local government has different building permits needed during any new construction. Your home builder is responsible for acquiring all permits. Most will have connections with governing authorities and will have a thorough understanding of which permits are required.
03. Managing contractors
Home builders rely on a collection of contractors to perform the construction of your home. From framers to roofers to electricians, they should have a robust network of reputable and skilled professionals. They are responsible for managing the contractors and inspecting their work, ensuring all codes are met at each stage of construction.
Additionally, builders also order all of the building materials and are responsible for doing so in a timely manner. They typically order from their network of product vendors.
When building a home, costs can quickly skyrocket if not monitored effectively. Your home builder will monitor all costs and ensure that they’re staying within budget. In the event there are extra costs, your home builder will also be responsible for communicating with you and helping you understand where your money is going.
After construction has been completed, your builder will schedule the first inspection. They’ll be responsible for walking you through your new home and making sure everything meets your expectations. They’ll also pay close attention to any defects and schedule contractors to come in and fix any issues.
06. Certificate of occupancy
Once the city or municipality completes their final inspection, ensuring everything meets their codes, your builder will receive a certificate of occupancy. Afterwards, you’ll be able to officially move into your brand-new home!
How to know which home builder to trust
I think we’re all familiar with the common saying: trust is easy to lose and hard to regain. And the same can be said for the home building industry. It takes one unprofessional builder to give the rest a bad name. But the best home builders in Edmonton take pride in their work and want to provide their customers with the best experience possible. They always deliver quality workmanship and keep their reliable lines of communication open with their customers.
So how can you know which home builder to trust?
01. Ask a friend or acquaintance about their experience
If someone you know recently built a home, ask them about the builder they chose. While asking for a referral is helpful, also inquire about some of the issues they experienced. This will give you helpful information that you can then ask prospective builders about.
02. Don’t be afraid to ask ‘interviewing’ questions to potential builders
This leads to the next tip: asking the important questions. Information is the ticket towards trust. The more you know about a builder’s process, the more trust you’ll have in them.
So don’t be afraid to ask questions. And if you had the opportunity to ask a friend about their experience, make sure to bring up those talking points. For instance, if your friend experienced hidden fees or had issues with defects, ask your builder how they would avoid similar situations.
03. Make sure the builder communicates effectively
With any large project, communication is key. Make sure the builder you interview can communicate effectively. Here are some communication red flags to watch out for:
- They’re late for your meeting
- They don’t call you back to answer additional questions
- They dodge your questions or don’t answer them fully
- They’re dismissive of your concerns or ideas
Chances are if your builder doesn’t communicate with you, that will also carry over to how they communicate with their contractors.
04. Look for business values that align with yours
Every home builder will have certain values they hold. For instance, some operate with family values. By reading through their website, you should be able to identify what values they’re committed to upholding.
05. Read their online reviews
Reading reviews is a great way to know which builders you can trust. If a collection of past customers had negative experiences, pay attention to patterns. For example, if long delays, hidden fees, and poor quality of work are common trends throughout a builder’s reviews, you’ll know to keep your distance.
Alternatively, if they have a large percentage of positive reviews that have consistent patterns of good feedback, you’ll feel better about trusting that builder.
How do you find a home builder?
Now that you know what to look for in a home builder, how do you find a reputable one? While it’s easy to do a quick Google search and get served a list of builders, it can be time-consuming to research and siphon through their websites.
Here are a few ways to find the best home builders in Edmonton:
01. Rely on your network
Asking for a referral is quick and easy. Plus, you’ll have the added benefit of seeing the builder’s workmanship firsthand if you visit your friend or acquaintance’s home. Also, if they had a positive experience, chances are you will as well.
02. Check out builder pools from land developers
Land developers will often sell a portion of their lots to builders. In turn, they typically have a builder list for each community. This is a great place to find home builders or purchase new lots.
When you view our website, you’ll find a list of our residential communities. Within these communities, we have reputable builders that provide high and detailed quality work. If you’re looking for the best home builders in Edmonton, this is an efficient and effective place to start!
03. Pay attention to lottery home builders
When lottery homes are announced, you not only learn more about the charity but also the community and home builder. Next time you receive a flyer or package in the mail for a new lottery home, check out the builder on the project. These builders are typically reputable with an extensive portfolio.
Who are some of the best home builders to work with?
Quality is important to us. Each of the communities we build is intentionally designed to balance a healthy lifestyle, convenience, and nature. To ensure that quality is secured, we only work with reputable builders with a proven track record of delivering fine workmanship and great customer service.
Here are some of our preferred builders:
01. Dynasty Builders
Established in 2004, Dynasty Builders has created beautiful and functional custom homes for the past 18 years. With their unmatched attention to detail, they’ll provide quality work—down to the smallest fixtures.
They are one of our most prominent builders in the following communities:
- Erin Ridge North (St. Albert): located only 3 minutes from Costco and close to other shops, restaurants, and stores, Erin Ridge North offers convenience without sacrificing quiet or peace. Build around large ponds, you can benefit from living around nature while having a quick and easy commute to your favourite amenities.
- Westwinds (Morinville): located off Highway 2 and across the street from the brand new school in Morinville, Westwinds is the perfect family community. With easy access to the highway and major roads, it makes your commute a breeze. So you can spend more time making memories with your family and friends.
- Sherwood Golf & Country Club Estates (Sherwood Park): featuring beautiful, custom homes and stunning views, Sherwood Golf & Country Club Estates is an exclusive community for those who value nature, convenience, and peaceful living. Located minutes away from Wye Road and Broadmoor, you have quick access to stores, shops, restaurants, and more!
To learn more about Dynasty Builders and their available lots in the above communities, visit each community webpage.
02. Mutti Homes
Mutti Homes brings over 40 years of experience to their professionally designed homes. Dedicated to quality, they provide exceptional workmanship, a high degree of attention to detail, and excellent customer service.
Here are some of our communities where you’ll find homes built by Mutti Homes:
- Windsor Pointe (Fort Saskatchewan): Built for busy families, Windsor Pointe has a little bit of everything. With access to over 25 km of maintained walking trails and a nearby park (outfitted with its very own zip line), there’s always something to keep even your most energetic children busy. Not to mention, you have quick access to Highway 21, making your commute into Sherwood Park or Edmonton effortless.
- Erin Ridge North: St. Albert has consistently been voted one of the best places to live in Alberta. Safe, quiet, and convenient, everything you need is located within a short drive. But you can avoid the crowded communities and noise of the Big City.
Click the links above to learn more about purchasing a house built by Mutti Homes in one of our communities!
03. Alves Construction
Alves Construction is an award-winning home builder focused on providing quality work that you can always trust. They personalize each of their home building experiences, so you can feel confident with each stage of construction.
Here are some of our communities where you’ll find Alves Construction homes:
- Westwinds: located only 10 minutes away from St. Albert, Westwinds has affordable lots where you can build your dream home.
- Erin Ridge North: live in a community where you can have it all—a short drive to your favourite amenities, easy access to Highway 2 and St. Albert Trail, and the peace of living in a safe and quiet community.
Use the links above to learn more about the communities and to find available lots or quick possession homes built by Alves Construction.
Building your dream home in a Landrex community
Your dream home is closer than you think. Featuring affordable & spacious lots, our communities are designed to give you limitless possibilities, so you can finally build the home you’ve always wanted in a community that supports your lifestyle.
Visit our website to learn more about our residential communities and to find available lots and homes for sale. Also, don’t forget to check out our Instagram and Facebook, so you can keep updated on all of our latest announcements!